Skip to main content
NT Health
Library Services

Legal Deposit: Home

Legal Deposit Information

Quick Links

Ask Us
Mobile Resources
Resource Delivery
Room Bookings
Literature Search Request

About this Guide

The Australian and Northern Territory Governments both have legal deposit legislations to ensure publications are preserved for use by future generations and assist in research into all aspects of Territory life.

The authors of Department of Health, Top End Health Service and Central Australia Health Service (NT Health) have a legal obligation to provide copies of their published works, intended for the public, to appropriate libraries to assist with building richer local collections. 

The Department of Health Library Services coordinates and facilitates the collection and distribution of NT Health published works to the Northern Territory Library and National Library of Australia.

Documents covered by legal deposit

Legal deposit covers any published works (print or digital) intended for the public.  These may include:

  • Reports
  • Newsletters
  • Fact sheets
  • Research articles

If you aren’t sure whether something you have created falls under legal deposit please contact the Department of Health Library Services for advice.

How to meet legal deposit requirements

To meet legal deposit requirements please ensure that you forward any publications created by your work area to the Department of Health Library Services.  The publications can be either in hardcopy or digital formats.  Send 3 copies of any print publications to:

Library Services, Building 4, Royal Darwin Hospital


Complete a Web Request Form and send a copy of the digital publication/s to

The Department of Health Library Services will forward your publication on to the National Library of Australia and the Northern Territory Library as well as adding a copy to the Department of Health Library Services collection.

How to contact the Department of Health Library Service

To request assistance with the development of your documents, just Ask Us or email us at