Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
EndNote is a software package that will assist you to collect, store, organise and use your references.References can be entered into EndNote manually, or they can be transferred into EndNote from journal databases and library catalogues. References can be inserted from EndNote into Word documents. A bibliography (reference list) of all the inserted references is automatically created in the referencing style of your choice. It is very easy to change between referencing styles, or modify styles to suit specific requirements
Which EndNote is right for you?
Compare EndNote Online and EndNote Desktop features and capacity.
EndNote Online (free)
The free online version of EndNote is perfect when you're new to research and writing. When you find yourself in need of more robust capabilities, move up to EndNote Desktop.
- EndNote Online allows you to create an EndNote Library online, which can be accessed from anywhere using the Internet.
- References can be transferred between your EndNote Online library and a regular "desktop" EndNote library.
- You can insert citations into Word documents from your EndNote Online library in the same way as you do from the desktop version.
- EndNote Online is not as sophisticated as the desktop EndNote program and is meant to be used as an additional feature, rather than as a replacement.
- Click here for a Quick Reference Guide (PDF).
- The most powerful research and reference manager on the market.
- EndNote Desktop is an advanced desktop/software tool.
- You can transfer references between EndNote Online and EndNote Desktop.
Further differences between EndNote Desktop and EndNote Online.
Windows - EndNote Training
Macintosh - Endnote Training